Here are some of the main reasons you may be having trouble with the MindRacers software properly detecting the cars:
1. The number one reason is a lack of adequate lighting on the LaunchPad area. Make sure to increase the lighting, and be careful to position the light in a way that it does not cast shadows across the LaunchPad area.
2. If you are using Osmo with an iPad, make sure that the inserts in the base are correct for your iPad model. If you look down on the white base, you should see text like 'iPad Air - iPad Mini' or 'iPad 2- iPad 3 - iPad 4'. Please make sure the text matches your iPad model. See our video on this set up here.
3. Are the players hovering over the Hot Wheels cars, and, as a consequence, shadows are covering the cars?
4. Is the reflector mirror dirty? Please wipe with microfiber cloth.
5. Is the reflector mirror cracked? Please contact us so we can send you a new one.
6. Are you running iOS 9 or above? (Osmo only supports iOS 9 or newer.)
If you follow the steps listed above and the issue continues to occur, please contact us with your device model number and a few pictures or a video of the issue occurring so we can better assist you.
Here are instructions to find which model / device you have:
iPads: open Settings > General > About
Fire tablets: open Settings > Device Options