Detection issues could be due to one of a few reasons:
- If you are using Osmo with an iPad, make sure that the inserts in the base are correct for your iPad model. If you look down on the white base, you should see text like 'iPad Air - iPad Mini' or 'iPad 2- iPad 3 - iPad 4'. Please make sure the text matches your iPad model. See our video on this step here.
- Your hand is covering the pieces. In this case, take your hands away from the pieces and Osmo should recognize them.
- The pieces are too close or too far away for Osmo to see. If this is the case, try sliding your pieces so that they're centered in front of the device.
- Are you using Osmo in an area with very low light? Try increasing the lighting in the room. Spot lights like desk lamps directly on the play area can create glare which can cause issues. If a lot of light is coming from behind your device, there may be lots of shadows where the camera is trying to see.
- If you're playing Masterpiece, Monster, or Newton with a Creative Board, make sure the Creative Board is oriented correctly in front of the device, with the Osmo logo sitting next to the device and with the little red bumps sitting on each side of the base. You should also make sure the board has been wiped clean between each drawing.
- If you're playing a game other than Masterpiece, Monster, or Newton, make sure you aren't playing on the Creative Board. Try placing a plain sheet of 8.5'x11' white copy paper underneath the base (longways) and use that to place the pieces on top of.
- Is the reflector on backwards?
- Is there a protective film still on the reflector? If so, please remove.
- Is the reflector dirty? Please wipe with microfiber cloth.
- Is the reflector cracked? To request a replacement, please log into your myOsmo account and click on your name in the top right corner, then select 'Replacements' and fill out the form. We'll send you an email confirmation that we received your request.
- Are you running iOS 8.0 or above? If not, please update to the latest version of iOS.
- Are you using the latest version of the Osmo app? If not, please update.
If you continue to experience difficulty with the iPad seeing what's in front of it, please contact the Customer Experience Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.